Monday, December 21, 2009

Large shell drawing


My third shell drawing shows major improvement since my first. I thought I would be nervous about the large size of the paper, but since this was the third I ended up doing okay with using the space. I had a lack of wall space and worked on the floor, which seemed okay. When I use the bigger sheet for the final shell I will have to clear some wall space off so that my perspective is not distorted on the paper.
I worked a lot harder to focus on the shape of the shell rather than drawing half-circles over and over to show the shape. I was finally able to find the angles in the curves, and I really worked hard on creating a wrap-around effect. I also incorporated the use of atmospheric perspective, darkening the tip that is closest and gradually getting lighter as the shell moved back into space. The group who critiqued me said that they could see some movement and that the variation of line width was helpful. They also noticed that I tried hard to make the lines wrap around the shell. They suggested that I work on the inside area of the shell, giving it an edge and adjusting the angle of my lines to show that it curves out and down. Overall I think this drawing is much better than my first and second cross contour shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment