Monday, December 21, 2009

Final Post



I am typing this post outside of the drawing room with twenty minutes to go until our final. Nothing like saving things for the last minute.
I am fairly happy with my final shell drawing. I really wanted to use brown ink, rather than black, but every store I checked was sold out or only had black. I attempted to use leftover coffee grounds but that didn't work either, so I pulled out my old black ink. I did end up liking the drama that the black added to the shell. I may go over some areas with a darker black ink, as it lightened more than I wanted it to as it dried. I really want there to be more contrast between the bottom wash below the shell and the actual shell. I worked really really hard to get the right shape of the shell, which I changed gradually over the course of a few days. It helped that I gave myself extra time because I was able to work for a bit, take a break and come back and look with fresh eyes, which allowed my to see what was wrong with it. I was a bit scared to add the ink wash, but finally was able to loosen up with the ink.
As for the last drawing in class, the full body pose, I am less than happy with. If you cover up the shrunken head it is not so bad I guess. I really wish we would have had more than one class period to work on the entire body. Maybe I can convince my husband to pose for me one of these days so I can try that again.
I feel like I have learned an entirely new was of looking at and drawing people and objects. I love drawing portraits and will definitely use what we have learned to make those better and more three-dimensional on paper. I don't feel like I actually stopped drawing sketchy, although I did try. I guess that is just the way that I draw and I can continue to try to work on that. Overall I am happy that I took this class and hope to use the new techniques that I have learned in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment